Sunday, February 22, 2009

Assignment 5

Below is a playlist I have created that represents gender to me. I have picked these songs because they are great examples that represent strength in women, men who prefer independent women, and those men who are degrading to women. I have mostly always listened to rap and r&b but I'm really open to many types of music as I also love motown!


Readings: The FIFE chapters spoke about love and class. Many songs portray both of these issues deeply within their lyrics. A lesson that Hooks speaks about is how love makes people do crazy things. I believe that songs are a great example of this because many people write lyrics based on experience. In the song Badd that I have posted, they want women and I'm sure love them, but they speak about their image rather than their intelligence etc. Hooks also speaks about class and how all women had to come together and set aside the outside issues, including race. It became a sisterhood, which is what Destiny's Child sings about in Independent. They want all women to be independent and not live off of a man or think they need a man to make them happy. As far as masculinity, male artists in the music industry to act tough (if a rapper which is what I listen to) and often degrade women. It is a social learned behavior that males don't show much emotion, but I do think sometimes in the music industry that it is more acceptable for men to show emotion because after all.. it's just a song. Neyo speaks about wanting an independent woman, which is sometimes threatening to males because they are supposed to be the breadwinner. He is successful and sings about wanting a successful female. I think that is a very important message to other males out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment